Monday 11 July 2016

How Miles Chamley-Watson Is Changing The Face Of Fencing

Photographed by Kerry Hallihan / Styled by Joanne Blades

This article originally appeared in the July/August 2016 issue of SELF. For more from the Olympics issue, subscribe to SELF and download the digital edition. This full issue is now available on national newsstands.

Olympic fencer Miles Chamley-Watson just might be the guy to challenge everything you ever thought about fencing. “I’m the most unconventional person in my sport,” says Chamley-Watson. “Nobody looks like me, and I do crazy things on the strip.” (He’s also the only fencer with a move named after him.)

While the former world champion (the first American man to earn the title) makes dodging an opponent’s foil look easy, his life is all about the fitness behind the finesse. Days start at 5:45 A.M. with deadlifts and core work, then four hours of fencing drills and sparring, plus boxing and some ballet to up his footwork and flexibility. “People think I’m nuts, but this is my 9 to 5,” he says.

Of course, he hopes to win fencing gold in Rio. “I’m excited to compete at such a high level. I’m ready to soak it all in.”

The post How Miles Chamley-Watson Is Changing The Face Of Fencing appeared first on SELF.

No comments:

Post a Comment