Tuesday 9 August 2016

4 Things I Learned From Losing 80 Pounds And Embracing Fitness

You may have heard it from other people. They tell you running changed their lives. But trust me, it really can happen. Take me for instance: If you told me 10 years ago that I would absolutely love running, I would immediately have called bullsh*t on you. Then again, being 220 pounds at 22 years old also seemed like something that would never happen to me either. As a kid I was always busy playing sports, which kept my weight at a normal range. Once I stopped sports, however, my weight skyrocketed. High school was no picnic. Who wants to run laps around a field during third-period gym, and not shower for the rest of the day? College just made my weight gain worse. Unlimited freedom, parties, and late-night study sessions: no wonder people complain about the “freshman 15.” I was also very self-conscious about my weight, which didn’t make me want to spend time at the gym. All of this led me to slowly reach 220 pounds by the end of my senior year.

But after college, my twin sister decided that she wanted to lose weight, and she did that by running. Seeing her enjoying fitness and getting in shape made me realize I could do that, too. I mean, we are twins after all. I started with walking, although walking more than a mile was very tiring. While my sister and friends ran miles around my neighborhood, I slowly walked and tried to cover the same distance. Once I was able to walk three miles I started to add in running. I would run one block and then walk five. Slowly, I would add more blocks of running and reduce the blocks of walking. As I built up my stamina I added more blocks. It took about five months before I could run my entire neighborhood without walking, but I felt amazing when I was done.

After running consistently for awhile, I got the wild idea to sign up for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon. Endorphins, they make you do the craziest things! But I did it. It took me months of training, but I finished my first half marathon. Sure, I clocked 3 hours and 25 minutes at the finish line, but I did it. Not many people can say that. After that day I realized that I actually—*gasp*—enjoyed working out. This year will be my ninth year running the same half marathon series and seeing the photos (below) really shows me how far I have come in my weight-loss journey. Here are a few things that I’ve learned along the way.

1. Losing weight is hard.

80-pounds-lost-half-marathon

My transformation over five years of running the Philadelphia Rock n Roll Half Marathon.

That statement couldn’t be truer. It took me about 22 years to reach 220 pounds, so I could not expect to lose it in a few months. Once I got that into my head, it was easier to realize all the work I had in front of me and what I would have to do to see lasting results. In addition to exercising, that included revamping my eating habits as well. There are many weight-loss programs out there, but for me, Weight Watchers worked the best. It helped me get into a mindset of healthy eating, but wasn’t unbearably restrictive. No one can be perfect every single day (if you can, please tell me your secret) and the program helped me realize that. 

2. Find a buddy.

80-pounds-lost-buddy

On the left: Me (left) and my sister (right) at my first five-mile run. On the right: Me (left) and my sister (right) after running my fastest half marathon to date.

Finding someone else who shares your goals is not easy, but it is important. Luckily, my sister was an easy choice because we both wanted to see each other happy and healthy. At first, motivating myself was a pretty impossible task. I was self-destructive and I would self-sabotage myself with a food reward every time I hit a goal. Having someone there to help remind me of why I started my journey was essential in reaching my weight-loss goal.

3. Try everything at least once.

80-pounds-lost-try-things

Hiking the Grand Canyon, competing in the runDisney Dopey Challenge, and kayaking in upstate New York.

There are so many ways to work out that most people don’t take advantage of. I have a mantra that I will try any fitness class at least once (aquacycling, anyone?) to see if I really like it. From doing this I’ve found that a few of my absolute favorite fitness activities are running, CrossFit, and hiking. Keeping my activities varied is how I stay motivated—if you stick to one routine day after day you risk plateauing, plus exercise can become more of a chore than a fun activity. Whenever I feel like I’m in a workout rut, I switch it up and try something new. I have accomplished so many goals that I never expected to, like hiking through the Grand Canyon, running the Dopey Challenge (48.6 miles) at Disney World, and finishing five marathons. Next on my list? I would love to train for a triathlon just to see how I would do.

4. Finally, it’s all about balance.

Just setting your mind to lose weight sounds a lot simpler than it actually is. In reality, all of the ways to be healthy can’t be summed up in a simple bulleted list. It’s all about balance, and finding the right balance for you. Not everyone thinks that running marathons are fun (but, come on, the medals are so cool!). You might love yoga, or walking around your neighborhood catching Pokémon. Who cares! Just find something that makes you feel invincible and you will be unstoppable.

The post 4 Things I Learned From Losing 80 Pounds And Embracing Fitness appeared first on SELF.

No comments:

Post a Comment