Monday 4 April 2016

The Exercise That Will Help You Breathe Easy On Your Next Run

Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography

New and veteran runners alike can benefit from this move from POPSUGAR Fitness.

The first time I ever hit the track for a run, it felt like someone had lit my lungs up with a match and there was a burning fire blazing in my thoracic cavity, which had also incinerated my esophagus. Every few steps, I felt like I needed to slow down—my body was fine, but my lungs felt like they were literally on fire.

Growing up with exercise-induced asthma, I never thought it’d be possible for me to run (and I didn’t push the issue; it really didn’t seem fun!). I skipped out on many a mile in high school PE, never pursued sports, and never dreamed of running a race; but here I am today, as a fitness writer, training for my fourth and fifth half marathons this summer.

The secret? Strengthening your lungs. While there are several different exercises you can do to build strength in your diaphragm, one that stands out in particular is the Pilates 100s. This move targets your ab muscles, in part by paying a lot of attention to breathing. With practice, the end result will be a stronger diaphragm and greater lung capacity, meaning a more comfortable run!

Here’s a breakdown of this core-tightening, diaphragm-strengthening, breath-controlling move. For more tips, refer back to our in-depth tutorial on the 100s move.

The Move: Pilates 100

Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography

The post The Exercise That Will Help You Breathe Easy On Your Next Run appeared first on SELF.

No comments:

Post a Comment